Criminal Justice Technician
Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Work is performed under the direction of the Booking Support Bureau (BSB) Shift Supervisor. Performance is evaluated through conferences, reports, observation, results obtained, and appropriate employee performance appraisals.
- EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Perform general clerical functions such as data entry and handling telephone calls; complete, file, and retrieve recorded material.
- Read and interpret arrest information and perform accurate data entry into the Jail Management System (JMS).
- Process arrest-related information; create and maintain inmate files and electronic calendars and dockets.
- Process court orders, performing research when necessary, to ensure proper case disposition.
- Ability to communicate with arresting officers/deputies to facilitate accurate processing of arrest data and related documents.
- Respond to requests from the general public and from within the law enforcement system.
- Attend the First Appearance hearing held daily at the DOJ (closed circuit) and complete official clerking tasks.
- Operate the Florida Crime Information Center / National Crime Information Center (FCIC/NCIC) system to retrieve required and/or requested information and complete criminal history checks when appropriate; maintain system security.
- May act as the Computer Room Clerk for the shift performing FCIC/NCIC inquiry, entry, modification, and cancellation duties.
- Receive, disburse, and count cash; process cash and surety bonds; post to records for the Inmate Trust Fund and Cobra Banker applications; and maintain logs for financial accountability.
- Assist Security with the completion of inmate Master Count, both daily and when necessary.
- Perform required victim notifications upon offender release; maintain forms and logs.
- May serve as an Acting Shift Supervisor when necessary, based upon job knowledge and demonstrated ability.
- May perform duties designated as Court Coordinator, Inmate Trust Fund Coordinator, Public Records/Archives Coordinator, Registration Office Clerk, or Civilian Lobby Team member based on job knowledge, demonstrated ability, and supervisor recommendations. These specialized assignments require the same duties and responsibilities as previously listed but are focused on specific areas of knowledge and related tasks.
- SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to work shift work, weekends, and/or holidays.
- WORK CONDITIONS:
This position requires the use of gloves when handling contaminated and/or unclean arrestee property and clothing.
- [ ]Associate's Degree[ ] Preferred
- [ ]Bachelor's Degree[ ] Preferred
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Type 30 or more correct words per minute (cwpm).
- Must be trainable in all essential BSB functions.
- Current, valid FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) certification or obtained within six (6) months of employment.
- Sit/stand for moderate to long periods
- See and hear at a sufficient range to perform duties
- View computer screens for extended periods
- Speak, read, and write English understandably
- Ambulate independently
- Bend, squat, kneel, and crawl
- Lift/carry 25 pounds
- Push/pull light to moderate loads
- Manual dexterity
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, and grammar.
- Knowledge of court functions and procedures.
- Skilled in the use of small office equipment, including copy machines and/or multi-line telephone systems.
- Skilled in using computers for data entry.
- Skilled in using computers for word processing and accounting purposes.
- Ability to plan and organize work efficiently and meet indicated deadlines.
- Ability to adhere to prescribed laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public, in person and on the telephone.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work rotating shifts.